Crowns (often known as caps) are an ideal way to rebuild teeth which have been broken, or have been weakened by decay, very large filling or root canal treatment. The crown fits right over the remaining part of the tooth, making it strong and giving it the shape and contour of a natural tooth.
Why would I need a crown?
There are a number of reasons. For instance:
- The tooth may have been weakened by having a very large filling.
- You may have large discoloured fillings and would like to improve the appearance of the tooth.
- You may have had a root filling which will need a crown to protect it.
- You may have had an accident and damaged the tooth.
- It may help hold a bridge or denture firmly in place.
What are crowns made of?
Crowns are made of a variety of materials and new materials are being introduced all the time. Here are some of the options available at present:
- Porcelain bonded to metal the most common crown, white in colour. Porcelain applied over base metal.
- All porcelain/ceramic not quite as strong but look very natural and fantastic for front teeth.
- Porcelain bonded to Zirconia strong and metal free so highly aesthetic.
- Metal only very strong and hard wearing, less tooth drilling needed but gold or silver in colour so used mainly at the back of the mouth.
- All Zirconia tooth-coloured and also very strong and hard wearing, minimum tooth drilling (similar to metal) but less aesthetic than porcelain.
Since joining the dentist I have always been happy with the attention to detail Sundeep and the team put in and the young lady in the room I think Chelsea? Is really wonderful and always helpful, she is a credit to the practice.
So happy since joining this practice. The staff are friendly and the dentist is fantastic. The dentist I saw even works late night so I didn't have to take anymore time of work, The girls were very approachable and so was the dentist. I am so glad that I have finally found a good dentist. 5 stars guys see you in 6 months.
I would recommend this dentist to everyone, the team are so welcoming and the dentist was brilliant. Have to say a massive thank you to Sundeep for sorting my teeth out like look amazing so thank you very much.
Thank you Dr Sundeep and your team for accommodating me at very short notice. The staff at the practice were wonderful. I am still smiling thinking about my experience at your practice. Never thought I would say that about a dental visit. Thank you Stock Hill Dental Care for your amazing service!
I can definitely recommend stock hill dental practice. The staff are very friendly and I always receive the highest standard of treatment.
Had a struggle to find it, but once found; it was a pleasure to have met the friendly staff who were so welcoming.